How To Solve Your Wedding Alterations Woes
Finding your perfect wedding dress isn’t the end of the journey—it needs to fit perfectly too! But all too often, alterations and fittings can go awry, and you end up with poor fit that leaves you uncomfortable and unprepared for your wedding!
Incorrect alterations happen for a lot of reasons. It could be that the seamstress was rushed to get it done by the wedding day; he or she was inexperienced; or even that the bride lost or gained weight!
What are some of the issues you might run into?
- Too tight/loose
- Back bulge
- Armpit folds
- Revealing neckline
- Too short
- Incorrect sleeve length
- Incorrect attachment of accessories or sleeves
Are there any alterations that can’t be fixed?
Technically, yes, there are some changes that can’t be undone. For example, if there is a beaded fabric on your dress, that beading usually cannot be reattached once it is taken off. Also, it can be more challenging to let a dress out after it has been taken in, because the fabric may become too worn.
But that doesn’t mean you need to be stuck with an improperly fitting dress! There are always solutions!
Here are our top tips for solving your alterations woes:
- Trust your seamstress. You should have a good relationship with the person doing your alterations. You should speak to them face to face, so they can see your body type in person. You will want to know their background with alterations as well as with your gown’s particular fabric or designer.
- Go with the size up. If you’re on the fence between two sizes, it’s always easier to take in extra fabric than to add more. Always size up and alter down.
- Use accessories. When in doubt, work with a stylist to use bridal accessories to cover the problem area! A veil, a belt, or even a brooch or pin can hide poor alterations and add extra oomph to your outfit!
- And don’t forget about Diamond Bridal Gallery. We have more than 10 years of experience with wedding dress alterations—with hundreds of happy brides! Come to us for great alterations the first time around, or come to us if you’ve had a dress disaster! We can solve any dress alteration you bring us!